Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wii Music

I am going to do a little cross posting. My other blog Virtical Education covers my Instructional Design/Technology thoughts. Of course, music and IT cross paths often in my life, thoughts and activities.

Our KSQ mission is to promote music for life in our communities. This mission I take seriously and look for ways to expand our knowledge of what is going on in the great musical community. By doing so, I feel we can develop not only an understanding, but an appreciation for the role our group plays in the overall musical community. Certainly, an area of interest for me is music education.

As we think about the future of music education, it is my thought that we have great opportunities to learn how we learn, how our kids learn, what motivates us to grow (and learn), all driven by new technologies and approaches to learning. The Wii MUSIC game is a pretty good example of how to mainstream music learning. Music has been held back from the masses for most of our countries history. While in ancient time, music was revered as a necessary academic subject for all.

I just started working with a talent, young Saxophonist from a local school district. She has access to the school's technology resources including Smart Music and recording equipment. My business partner also shared a recent story about a band director, while attending a PMEA festival, was able to continue testing his students at school by using SKYPE to listen to their scale assessments that were due. And, if you have not tried Wii MUSIC and read about the support of the MENC, this is a good opportunity to catch up on what is going on. Technology and music education offer a truly powerful way to connect students to the subject, and to talent teachers. My own venture, viaAcademies relies on this premise and promise of the two working in harmony.

Does Wii change the way I think about saxophone and saxophone quartets. No! Appreciating it helps me in a broader sense though. KSQ's mission requires us to be diverse, and to expand our view past our immediate musical contribution. I think all great groups who strive to influence the growth of the art of music should do the same.

Please visit my other blog and read more about Wii MUSIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment